Monday, July 21, 2014

Why Do We Do It?

I’m returning to an idea that often goes through my mind.  Yesterday at the concert in Westcliffe I was having a particularly wonderful afternoon with beautiful weather, a great audience of listening and caring people, an in-tune guitar that was working for me, and a conscious that was ‘in the moment.'  The last set I was reflecting to the audience on just how special an afternoon it was, and I made the statement that I don’t play music for money, I play for the love of the music and the shared experience with the audience.  I truly believe this.  Now I do understand that the money received for the performance represents (in part) the value that people get from the music and the experience, and I think we could have an entire discussion based on the concept of whether that is good or bad, but it makes me think about a broader question - why do we do anything we do?  When I sing the song, “Night Rider’s Lament,” I often ponder on what to say to introduce the song, and I forget that the main message of the song is just this - why do we do any of the things that we do?  The song says it’s for the sight of the northern lights, for the sight of the “hawk on the wing,” and for the sight of the spring hitting the Great Divide.  What are these things?   I think they represent something deep and lasting to the writer and listener - the enjoyment of living and the passion we all seek in life.  I guess maybe that’s all there is to it.  When you get to the end of your life can you look back and say that you truly lived passionately and lovingly in whatever situation in life you landed?

What happened last week?

Thursday was a great night at the Yellow Pine with dancers and a beautiful night - even a little rain.  Friday was a lot of rain and an evening indoors with old and new friends at the La Veta Inn.  The night turned extra-special towards the end of the night as the audience indulged and encouraged me to sing some meaningful heartfelt songs.  Saturday was a crazy night with the band at the Westcliffe Stampede Rodeo Dance.  They built a new stage this year which solved the dancers spilling into the band unexpectedly, and we got to see even more wild dance moves from our heightened vantage point.  Sunday was the aforementioned concert in Westclifffe which was nothing if not magical.  I REALLY appreciate the folks who helped make it so.

So what am I up to this week?

Thursday I’m back at the Yellow Pine for the barbecue 6:30-8:30.  This summer just keeps topping itself from week to week here, and I’m sure this week will not disappoint.  If you’d like to come, call (719) 742-3528 for reservations.

Friday I’m back at the La Veta Inn 6-9.  I had trout for dinner last week that knocked me out, and I told you above how much fun we had with the music, so I’m in hopes this week will be even better!

Saturday at 7:00 I get to play a fabulous venue that I’ve heard great things about - Coyote Creek Concerts in Elizabeth, CO.  If you’re in the Denver area and have been asking me to play “up your way,” this is the show to catch.  I’m honored to get to share my music here.  Their website has more info and pictures - http://www.coyotecreekconcerts.com.

Sunday I’m back at 8 Mile Bar and Grill most likely 5:30-7:30, although I may start a little later.  I had such a good time with such nice folks the last time I played there, and I’m looking forward to this Sunday!

If you make any of these gigs I’d love to have you in my audience!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 24, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, July 25, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing at singing a concert at Coyote Creek Concerts
Where:  Casey Jones Park and Pavilion, Elizabeth.  www.coyotecreekconcerts.com
When:  Saturday, July 26, 7-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  8 Mile Bar and Grill, 45000 W. US Hwy 50, Cañon City.  (719) 275-1558
When:  Saturday, July 27, 5:30-7:30

No comments:

Post a Comment