Monday, March 14, 2016

New Album and What It Means

My instrumental guitar album arrives today, and I’m contemplating what it means.  Every accomplishment signals a new chapter of some kind.  This album was an interesting project.  I approached it because I found that people really liked my instrumental songs in a different way than my vocal songs, and also because they allow the listener to interpret the song in whatever way strikes them.  I know what was in my mind when I wrote each one, but sometimes the song transforms when it’s played to a different emotion and message.  I originally intended to write songs akin to jazz standards, but my muse was more interested in pure folk melodies, and so I went with that.  When I sat down with the guitar to write I let my fingers and experience lead the way - occasionally giving a little nudge one way or another.  I have not always been confident of my guitar abilities, so I had to trust my intuition to get the songs right in the studio.  This means that I have to do a lot of rehearsing to play them live, and so you may see me have to concentrate a little harder than usual when I play them.  The album arrives in the middle of tax preparations, estate figuring, Song of Pueblo rehearsals, and thinking about a new pet, so there’s plenty of competition for attention.  As a result, I won’t really be promoting it until May when I’ll try to get some press and do my CD-release party.  The CD-release party will by May 6th at Magpies 7-10.  You’re welcome to purchase a CD before that, of course, and you can drop me a note where I can ship and bill you, or you can send me a PayPal to my regular email address - tom@tommunch.com.  It can also be purchased at cdbaby.com, and I hope to have it up on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, and every other digital download and streaming service this week.  The CD will be $15 plus shipping, and the digital download will be $9.99.  I’m excited to have you hear it!

UPDATE - IT JUST ARRIVED!

What have I been up to?

Magpies was a blast the last time out.  It was packed, and everyone really contributed to making it fun.  I did a lot of Irish tunes, and snuck in a few cowboy songs too as promised.

On a sad note, the friend I wrote about last time who was going through a third bout with cancer passed.  Another friend who was a musician who played in Pueblo quite a bit, Gary Wickizer, aka Mo Kauffey, passed recently too.  It’s been a tough year on musicians so far.  I’ll miss these friends.

I also met the new owners of the La Veta Inn last Friday, and we’re trying to come up with some dates to play there this summer.

What am I doing this week?

Friday is Magpies again 7-10, and I haven’t thought about what songs I’m going to do at all yet.  If I feel ready I may do a few of my new instrumental songs.  Either way it will be a memorable evening as always, and I really love to play for you there.

That’s it for this week.  I’m back to all those things I wrote about that are competing for time.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, March 18, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment