Monday, January 30, 2017

Connections

I'm thinking today about connections in our world. There is an interconnectedness to our world that reminds me of playing chess. I've never liked playing chess very much because it always seemed to me to be a very controlling game where I can never make a frivolous move without suffering the consequence very shortly of losing a chess piece, and sometimes I like to do something frivolously. Life has that kind of interconnectedness (even though I've found that I don't feel the control so much.) I think that what I do in life is in a vacuum, and it's only later that I see how I was affected by someone or something else, and then how what I did affected so many others in turn. It doesn't make me fear that I might do the wrong thing, but it gives me comfort to know that I'm part of something bigger that flows like a river - except that I'm not swept along with the current but actually helping to steer its course. Now that's not to say that things can't be affected to the negative. I'm reminded of this old proverb. 


For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.


That's a cautionary tale that shows how the interconnectedness can lead to ruin. There seems to be a trust that is needed and a faith in goodness to make life work. I have faith and trust in the universe and my fellow man (and woman!) Being aware that these connections are there seems to be part of understanding how our world works. I encourage you to seek out how these connections work in your life and understand the interconnectedness of our world. We are part of a river of connections. 


What have I been up to?


PDub Brewery last Friday was loads of fun! I saw so many great folks I haven't seen in quite some time. Thanks to everyone for supporting PDubs and their efforts to keep the brewery going until Brad can return. We actually overwhelmed the staff with the turnout that night which was unfortunate since they were short-staffed. They asked me to apologize that their service wasn't all they wanted it to be, and they promised that next time it will be superb. I'm looking forward to it!


What's up this week?


Friday night 7-10 I'll be back at Magpies for a rousing fun night. I'm dreaming up something special again - different guitars or a unique theme for one of the hours of the night, so be on the lookout. 


What's on the horizon?


Coming up I do have a gig to tell you about for those in CaƱon City. February 25th 11-2 I'll be playing a Valentine's fundraiser for First Christian Church. Put it on your calendar if this sounds like fun to you. I also will be playing Irish music for Celtic night at the Bell Tower Cultural Center in Florence on March 18 following Celtic dancers at 7:00. 


That's it for this week. I appreciate you all so much, and I encourage you to see your connections. 


Best always,


Tom


Details this week:


Who:  Tom Munch

What:  playing & singing

Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522

When:  Friday, Feb 3, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment