Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! I'm sitting at Jen's dad's kitchen table on this morning of January 1st of the new year - contemplating what the year will bring. Of course the first thing that comes to most everybody's mind is uncertainty about the political situation.  No one really knows what the new president will bring. I'm one who usually welcomes change, and so I look forward to a new adventure, just as long as it's not too wild a ride. For myself I'm slowing down a bit. I want to do a new musical project this year, but I haven't settled on what exactly that will be. We've almost wrapped up my mom's estate, and although I'll be spending quite a bit of time helping Jen with her dad, I think I'll also have time to be creative this year. Song of Pueblo has wrapped up for me, and although I loved the show it was time to move on. I'll always remember my good friend, Richard Mandel, when he was closing Peaceful Henry's in Guffey. I asked him why he was closing down, and he quoted the old chestnut, "To everything there is a season." I feel that way about the Song of Pueblo. I'm fairly peaceful at 55. I haven't achieved everything I'd like to in my life, but I'm also content with what I have done, and I realize more and more that it's not what you achieve, but what you experience along the way that's really important. It's what's in the moment that really matters. I wrote that in a song many years ago, "This moment is my goal. The only thing I can truly know." If I can touch others in a meaningful way while being at peace myself I am content. So that's how I'm approaching the new year. How about you?

What have I been up to?

Magpies was a blast the last time out for the year on Friday. We had such a good time singing Christmas songs and sharing the holiday spirit. Bill Schwabe even joined me for a few songs at the mic. Wow!

My online living room concert was a great time too the following Sunday night. I had folks from all over the country tuning in and making requests. I think I need an online concert more often. 

Then the holidays I didn't play as much. My wife Jen's 93-year-old dad has been in the hospital after a fall, so we spent most of the holidays with him. 

What's up this week?

Magpies is cancelled this week due to a death in the family.

Friday I'm back at Magpies to start the year out right. I'm thinking of doing a theme night, but I haven't thought of what the theme will be yet. I'm up for suggestions. We usually end up on '60's tunes, but I'm always game for anything. I'd love to do a night of old country or folk songs. Maybe those are good themes for this Friday. Let me know what you think. 

What's up going forward?

I have a few interesting gigs coming up in addition to my facility gigs and my regular Magpies performances the first and third Fridays. I'm doing a concert for the Florence Arts Council at 7:00 on Saturday, January 21st at the Bell Tower Cultural Center, 201 E 2nd Street in Florence. This is an old church with great acoustics with wonderful paintings and other art that also does concerts during the year. I'm honored to play for these folks again. I'm also playing a gig with my old band, the Atomic Fireballs, in early February. I'm trying to remember what the group is. I've already scheduled the full summer of Thursday-night barbecues at the Yellow Pine in addition to my shows for the rafting scouts. I have a couple other appearances I'm shoring up as well as another show at Lucy's in La Veta on July 22nd. It looks to be a busy year that will bring lots of music and joy. 

I guess that's it for this week. Be good to each other as well as yourselves, and I'll see you down the road. 

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, Jan 6, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment