Monday, June 19, 2017

What Is Music?

I often contemplate what music really is to me and to this world.  There is no doubt in my mind that it is magical beyond what we see, hear, and understand.  Sometimes I feel it like a wind inside of me, and sometimes it is a slowly moving deep current of water.  I intimately know that it is part of the force of the universe and flows through me and all around me.  I often struggle with the fact that its creation within me is not something I can take credit for, and yet I also know that I have been given a gift to express it and mold it to some extent.  To this end I sometimes balk at being paid for performing it.  But then I think that being paid is an odd concept at its heart as well.  I think I would have been better off in a barter and patron society.  But back to music, what is it - really?  Some see it as a mathematical set of principles whose inter-workings help to shape our brains with its patterns and logic as we listen and play.  Some see it as an frivolous curiosity.  Some see it as a beautiful jewel that sparkles and awes.  I see it as an integral expression of that unknowable and powerful great mysterious that you can call God, or spirit, or universal energy.  Whatever it is, it's a pure pleasure to be part of it.

What have I been up to?

Thursday at the Yellow Pine was a lot of fun at the barbeque.  Unfortunately it was a sad day for the staff because one of their horses got colic and was doing very poorly.  I'm not sure whether the horse pulled through.

Friday was the anniversary party for PDubs, and it was great to see so many friends and to help celebrate PDubs with good music, beer, and food!

What's up this week?

Thursday 6:30-8:30 is the barbeque at the Yellow Pine.  It’s starting to get busy as the summer progresses, so call now if you’d like to come - 719-742-3528.  It’s great fun!

Saturday 11-1:30 I’m playing for Cowboy Day at Francisco Fort Museum in La Veta again.  I love getting the chance to play cowboy music, and this event is always spectacular with some great cowboy poets and singers.  It runs 10-4:30, so come on out!

Saturday afternoon I’m playing a private wedding in Cuchara.  I love playing for these beautiful summer weddings.

Sunday I start the season of playing for the Boy Scout groups on their way to Philmont Scout Ranch after they raft on the Arkansas River.  I always enjoy playing for these groups of young men headed to the adventure of a lifetime.  Hopefully I give them a little inspiration and some great tunes to keep in their heads as they hike the trails.

That’s it for this week.  Be good to each other, and come on out and enjoy some summer fun if you can.

Best always,

Tom

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, June 22, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing for Francisco Fort Cowboy Day
Where:  Francisco Fort, 306 S. Main, La Veta.  719-742-5501
When:  Saturday, June 24, 11-1:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment