Monday, July 17, 2017

Compulsions

I’m writing about something that’s related to other ideas I’ve written about, but with a twist. I've had compulsion as a constant companion throughout my life. When I was young I’m convinced that I had OCD to some extent. I was obsessed with things that many kids are - not stepping on cracks, mirroring my right and left movements, etc. I was able to break these compulsive habits as most kids do, but I’ve always maintained a healthy dose of compulsion, I think. Compulsion can be a good motivator - giving the impetus to finish a project that is becoming tedious. It can also be a detriment - having to finish something when another more important task is pressing. It can also lead to excellence - I’m convinced that what musical ability I have is partly because of a compulsion to polish musical techniques to perfection. So it is an interesting part of my overall makeup that has become a tool to be used when I need it. The hard part is when it interferes with living a peaceful life and experiencing spontaneity, and yet I wouldn’t trade it for no compulsion at all. How about you? Do you fell the drive of compulsion?

What have I been up to?

I played twice for rafting Scout groups - Tuesday and Saturday, and each experience was different. Tuesday they were kind of preoccupied, and Saturday they were right with me until they had to leave. They keep me on my toes!

Thursday was another packed house at the Yellow Pine Barbeque. Everything was clicking, and I had a great group again.

Saturday was the Bull Moose in Guffey for friends I hadn’t seen in years as well as regulars who were kind enough to make the beautiful mountain drive. I had forgotten my laptop, so I had to play from memory or from my iPad, which was a stretch, but everything worked out just fine. It was great to see so many old friends in such a storied venue.

What am I up to this week?

Thursday is the Yellow Pine Barbeque 6:30-8:30, and I’m sure the fun will continue unabated. I'm enjoying the summer up there so much, although I miss some of the regulars from years past and of course JoAnn Van Lue who put on the barbeque for so many years.  Come on out if you can, but come early, as seats are filling up soon after 6:00 if not sooner.

Friday I’m back at PDubs 6:00-9:00 for another night of good beer, good food, and music. I so enjoy seeing old Pueblo West friends and those who enjoy a brew with their music!

Saturday I’m playing an outdoor concert at Lucy's RV Park in La Veta 6:30-8:00. They have a wonderful stage in a relaxing park that really feels nice. I love playing this venue.  Bring a lawn chair and something to drink, and Lucy's will provide popcorn and camaraderie.

That’s it for this week. I hope you’re enjoying the beautiful summer weather, and that you haven’t had wildfires disrupt your lives wherever life finds you.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 20, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who: Tom Munch
What: singing and playing
Where: PDub Brewing Company Taproom, 181 S Purcell Blvd, Pueblo West, 719-647-8864
When: Friday, July 21, 6:00-9:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing an outdoor concert
Where:  I Love Lucy's Place RV Park, 226 W. Grand Avenue, La Veta. 719-742-3252
When:  Saturday, July 22, 6:30-8:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment