Monday, July 3, 2017

Happy Kitty and Independence Day!

I’m a little groggy today from lack of sleep. We got a new kitty last Monday, and she really fit into our family instantly. This is a wonderful thing, but she also sleeps with us which is taking a while to adjust to, and so our sleep is not as solid as it might be. We'll adapt, but in the meanwhile we’re not sleeping as much. We’ve named the kitty “Tuzi” which is part of the Apache word tuzigoot, which means “crooked water”. The meaning of the word doesn’t really have anything to do with the personality of our kitty - we just like how it sounds and how it suits a cute little cat. She had a rough go of her first six months. Someone very badly declawed her and left her front toes permanently deformed and disfigured. Then she got pregnant, which is not that uncommon for a cat under six month (needless to say, spay and neuter pets). But she also wound up on the street as a stray and then at the shelter where she got a serious infection as a result of the miscarriage - probably because she was too small to give birth. So she has a shaved belly from being spayed and walks a little tentatively on her misshapen front toes, but she gives us lots of love and accepts the same in return. And she got along immediately with our big dog Beau, so we really couldn’t ask for more. The declawing actually works out well with Beau's eye disease which could be aggravated by a claw scratch in the eye. And all this makes me thankful, which is a good way to feel for Independence Day. Our founders really were trying to establish a new way of living on earth when they started our nation. We’ve had a lot of struggles, but overall it has been a worthwhile experiment that has bettered our world. Happy Independence Day,  everyone! You can see pictures of Tuzi on my Facebook page.

What have I been up to?

Tuesday was a great group of Scouts to play for at Echo Canyon Rafting! They were from Georgia and Pennsylvania.

Thursday was a fun crowd at the Yellow Pine Barbeque. We had a good turnout and a beautiful night.

Saturday was a huge crowd at Art in the Park in La Veta. I saw so many friends and acquaintances from over the years. It was a blast!

Sunday the chapel in Cuchara was packed for services with Don Pike presiding and my music before and during.  Thanks to Eldaa for setting all this up and providing great piano music as well!

Sunday night was a good group of old and new friends for my online concert. I did a different mix of songs with some old favorites and a few surprises. Thanks to all who listened in and contributed.

What am I up to this week?

Independence Day I’m playing a couple of parties at nursing facilities which should be a lot of fun. I don’t talk about these much, but it’s a joyous way to give back to the community.

Thursday 6:30-8:30 I’m at the Yellow Pine for the barbeque. We’re full on in the season now and enjoying all the regular Cuchara folks and travelers as well. The old barn never looked better, and the s'mores by the fire and the dancers to my music have never been better. Come on out if you can. Call 719-742-3528 for reservations.

Friday night I’m playing a wedding reception with the Atomic Fireballs. I always look forward to playing with the guys and stretching my legs on acoustic AND electric guitar.

Sunday I’m getting in a practice with Dennis and Trudy to prepare for some upcoming dates for our trio in Cuchara that I’ll be talking about soon.

Sunday I’m also playing for another group of rafting Scouts.

What’s on the horizon?

The weekend of the 15th and 16th I’m playing in Guffey at the Bull Moose and then with the band for the Westcliffe Stampede rodeo dance. The following weekend I’m at PDubs in Pueblo West and then at Lucy's RV Park in La Veta for an outdoor concert. Details are on my website http://tommunch.com. Of course I’m at the Yellow Pine for the duration of the summer for the Thursday barbeque.

That’s all for now. I hope you’re having  lots of fun this summer.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 6, 6:30-8:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment