Monday, July 24, 2017

Exhaustion

I’ve been burning the candle at both ends, and it has me thinking of what kind of balance is desirable in life. I’ve always been the type of person that pushes myself as hard as I can no matter what the consequences. When I was young I got an adrenaline rush out of pushing myself beyond what I thought I could do. I think I was trying to prove something to myself. You know, that I could do anything I set my mind to. It’s part of our culture, it seems, to do this sort of thing. I once met a couple from out of state who were staying at the Pueblo West Inn where I was performing. They said they were in the funeral business, and that the man they bought the business from told them that the way to stay happy and engaged in life was to travel somewhere every weekend they could. They had taken this to heart and were picking random places to travel to almost every weekend. It seemed to be working for them. They weren’t getting bogged down in their work, and they seemed to be full of joy and happiness. Me, on the other hand, I haven’t been fishing in years, and I haven’t had a good long hike in the wild lands in quite some time. Of course, I do enjoy what I do immensely, so even when I am working every day I really find joy and happiness in what I do, but I can see where a little downtime without the pressure of looking at my to-do list is very important. And exercising and eating healthy always makes me feel better and less exhausted. Isn’t it interesting how we have to reflect occasionally to see if we have balance in our lives?

What have I been up to?

Thursday at the Yellow Pine barbeque was fun as always. Lots of great folks and a beautiful night!

Friday at PDubs was also a fine night. There were a bunch of folks I hadn’t seen in quite a while, and everything was clicking.

Saturday the concert at Lucy's started out in the rain, but it cleared off and was a wonderful evening. I went way overtime because we were all having a good time and we didn’t want it to stop.

It was a great week!

What’s up this week?

Wednesday and Saturday I’m doing concerts at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. I look forward to playing there every year and reconnecting with old friends and meeting new folks with a passion for the outdoors.

Thursday is the Yellow Pine barbeque 6:30-8:30, and I can’t say enough how much I enjoy playing for these weekly get-togethers. If you want to be a part of it please call 719-742-3528 by Monday night to make a reservation.

Friday I’m playing another wedding in Cuchara that I’m sure will be beautiful. I really enjoy these mountain weddings.

Next Monday I’m playing at the Royal Gorge solo in the afternoon 12:30-4:30 on the stage on the south side next to the bridge. I’m writing about it this week so you have a little lead time if you’d like to come up.

That’s it for this week. I hope your summer is going well and that you're staying cool in the summer heat.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing at concert at Philmont Scout Ranch
Where:  Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, NM
When:  Wednesday, July 26 and Saturday, July 29, 8:00-10:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 27, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just off the bridge
When: Monday , July 31, 12:30 am-4:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment