Monday, December 2, 2013

Getting Psyched for Christmas

I played my first show of Christmas songs last Friday, and I'm always interested in how my psyche adjusts to being in the Christmas spirit again.  I have a strict rule of not doing Christmas songs before Thanksgiving.  It's hard to explain, but it really messes me up to hear songs that are out of season, whether they're Christmas songs or summer songs or whatever.  I find as I get older that my brain isn't as flexible as it once was, and encountering things I don't expect can throw me into a funk that I have a hard time bouncing out of.  And so the change into Christmas songs and the Christmas spirit is something I encounter with curiosity each year.  I tell folks I play for that the Christmas season goes by so fast that if you don't get in the spirit when the season is here then you'll miss it completely.  I tell myself that too.  And the truth is that I love the Christmas music so much, and it is so much a part of my life, that it is very easy to fall into the songs each year.  And then the challenging part is to let myself get swept up into the joy and emotion of each song. I have to remember that my joy of the song is important to how much my audience gets out of the song - and I owe it to the song to perform it well.  So I venture out into the season with my heart full of song and my head full of the love of the season!

I also have to mention that Jen and I have been delving into old Muppet movies and TV shows since we both finished the biography of Jim Henson by Brian Jones.  He was quite a guy, and was taken from us too soon at the age of 53.  His giving spirit and gentle philosophy of life is an inspiration to me.  There are a bunch of Muppet Christmas shows that are a treat this time of the year, so we can watch the Muppets and get into the Christmas spirit at the same time.  A bonus!

So what am I up to this week?

Friday I'm back at Magpies 7-10 for an evening of friends and fun!  I find that some folks don't want to hear Christmas music just yet, so I will temper my seasonal enthusiasm with other favorites.  Since I've been reading about Jim Henson and the Muppets I have been listening to Paul Williams who wrote several songs for the Muppets, so you can expect to hear a few of his songs.  I also love a bunch of '70's songs that the season reminds me of, so I'll be singing those as well - Simon and Garfunkel, Jim Croce, James Taylor, and many more!  Come on out!

Sunday I'm playing for the Pueblo Zoo Christmas event called Zoolala 5-9.  This promises to be a blast!  It's at Park East restaurant (just east of City Park) with the evening going from cocktails to dinner to ElectriCritters at the zoo with a shuttle.  I plan to lead a sing-a-long of Christmas songs probably from 7-8 depending on how the night flows, and I'll be performing favorites before and after that piped into several of the rooms.  This is a fundraiser for the Zoo.  The cost is $75 apiece for zoo members and $85 apiece for non-members and includes dinner, one signature cocktail, goody bag, ticket and shuttle to ElectriCritters at the zoo.  You need to call 719-561-1452 ext. 206 to RSVP or visit the website - http://www.pueblozoo.org/zoolalabegins.html - for more info and to RSVP.  I can't wait!

I'm also playing a lot of Christmas shows for different nursing and rehab facilities, so if you have someone in one of these facilities you may see me as well.

Almost forgot! I'm planning to do an online UStream concert very soon.  I'll send out more ASAP!

That's it for this week!  May you be filled with the joy and love this season brings.

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, December 6, 7-10 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing for Zoolala, the fundraiser bash for the Pueblo Zoo!
Where:  Park East restaurant, 720 Goodnight Ave, Pueblo.  719-561-1452 ext. 206 to RSVP
When:  Sunday, December 8, 5-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment