Monday, December 30, 2013

Mind Shifting to the New Year

Well, my mind is shifting a little as we approach the new year.  I had pangs of loss for the Christmas season that surprised me a couple days after Christmas, but those were soon replaced by the wonderful feeling of rebirth and the excitement of new things to come in a fresh year.  It's amazing how the mind can shift gears so quickly!  I get so worked up for Christmas, and so immersed in the seasonal music, that I don't quite know what to do with myself when it's over.  I tell folks every year that they should enjoy the holiday with gusto so they don't miss out on the joy it can bring.  And it did bring me a lot of joy this year.  Between the family visits and new faces and parties and singalongs, I thoroughly enjoyed the season and let it wash over me.  Unfortunately I also got a cold for Christmas Day, but the sniffles are just about over, so no worries.  I'm not sure what the new year will bring, but it's always a tabula rasa (a blank slate) full of possibilities.  I hope you see it that way too!

So I had a surprise on Saturday night.  (I sent out a quick note to you yesterday with the news that I'll be DJ'ing at the La Veta Inn for New Year's Eve.)  When I off-handedly asked the Inn what they were doing for New Year's Eve I didn't expect to end up DJ'ing for them, but that's how it went down.  One thing led to another, and before I knew it I was dreaming of how much fun we could have.  I don't DJ very often, but there was a day when I did do it much more - DJ'ing on weekdays and playing with a band on weekends.  I loved to play interesting alternate versions of popular songs, and I enjoyed diving deep into my album collection to pick out gems that would surprise and delight my audience.  I didn't always have a dancing audience, but I did have an interested audience that thought of me like a radio DJ - programming music to set a mood and tell a story.  I really enjoyed it and missed it when it ended 25 years ago.  So I'll be doing it for New Year's Eve again, and I think it's going to be a blast!  I'll have a kickin' sound system, some flashing lights, a crystal ball, and a collection of 28,000 songs for your listening pleasure.  And yes, I'll bring my guitar and be ready to play some songs as well if folks would like.  They'll have free champagne at midnight and their usual menu of tasty steak and fish, and I'll start the tunes at 7:00.  If you don't have plans, please come out and celebrate with me.

Then Friday I'll be starting the new year at Magpies 6-9.  I'm still toying with the idea of doing theme sets at Magpies for the fun of it.  If this interests you, then give me some suggestions of what you'd like to hear.  My ideas so far are: Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, jazz standards, Beatles, old country western, cowboy, historic, folk songs, etc.  We could really dig into this and do some fun sets!  I look forward to seeing friends and having a fun night!

I'd better sign off.  There's lots to do to get ready for tomorrow night.  Happy New Year!

Tom

Details:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  DJ'ing, and maybe playing & singing too
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Tuesday, December 31, 7 pm to midnight

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, January 3, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment