Monday, December 9, 2013

Taking Care

I heard a good interview with Jony Ive from Apple this past week and posted a quote on Facebook that has me thinking quite a bit about an aspect of life I find interesting - taking care.  The amount of care a person takes reflects a lot about that person's character.  Jony Ive was talking in reference to the amount of care a person takes in designing a product for use by others, but I think it extends in to the care we take in everything we do.  Taking care is not just done for the pride of the person giving, but it also shows respect for the receiver of the care.  I see this in many things I do every day, from my cat who wants down as soon as she senses that I'm not giving her 100% of my attention, to my audience who starts to lose interest when my heart is not 100% in the delivery of the song I'm performing.  Taking care requires focus and being present in the moment.  Jony said that getting it right is something we do for each other.  This kind of taking care ultimately shows love for everything from our fellow humans to our surroundings.  I think this is a very worthwhile endeavor.  What else is life about other than caring?

So what am I up to this week?

I have a couple of private Christmas parties I'm looking forward to.  I used to do quite a few more of these, but I'm not the best marketer in the world, so I haven't done as many in the past few years.  I really enjoy them though!  My one public gig this week is something everyone can attend - an online concert.

Friday night I'll be doing a UStream concert from our living room 7-8 MST (mountain time) that will feature seasonal favorites.  This time of year has always meant a lot to me, especially since music is so much a part of the season - from Christmas songs to winter songs and favorites I learned when I got my first guitar for Christmas 37 years ago.  These UStream concerts are a lot of fun since you all can enter the chatroom and give me requests as well as chat with each other.  I should do them more often!  The address from your computer is http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tom-munch-live, and you can even watch from a smartphone or tablet with the free UStream app you can download from your app store.  If you can't make it at 7:00 mountain time, I will record the show at the same address so you can watch it at your convenience (except without the live chat of course.)  I hope to see you there!

That's it for this week.  I hope you are enjoying the holiday season.

Tom

Details for this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  online on UStream http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tom-munch-live
When:  Friday, December 13, 7-8 pm MST

No comments:

Post a Comment