Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas!

Christmas is just about here, and I think I paced myself just about right.  I may have peaked a little early in my Christmas spirit, but the feeling has lasted, so I think I have just enough to get me through the week.  I hope you are enjoying it too.  This year the thing that has hit me the most is just how meaningful it can be to share and sing the Christmas songs together.  I've done several singalongs this season, and I'm so gratified at how much people have come to me and said that it made their Christmas season.  Christmas is about many things, but the community aspect and the shared experience seems to be very close to our hearts.  I don't know if it's the memories from those songs and the places we've been when we've heard them or just the fact that we all know them and share a common history and culture.  It's pretty special.  And it doesn't seem to matter what your religious background is - I even had a Buddhist friend say how much it meant to him to sing the old songs together.  Maybe we should try this with non-Christmas songs during the year as well.  Maybe Mitch Miller had it right all those years ago, and the Golden Bee and all the piano bars over the years have tapped into this too.  But I do think the specialness of the Christmas songs has something to do with the meaning of the experience I've felt this season in these singalongs.

So I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.  Just go with it!

So what I am up to for gigs this week?  I have family here, so I only have one public gig to tell you about.  Saturday night I'll be at the La Veta Inn 6-9.  Last Saturday I had a really nice group of folks at the Inn, and it was snowing lightly outside and felt so warm and delightful by the fire (as the song says.)  I'm betting this week will feel just as great in the magical week between Christmas and New Year's.  Come on out if you can!

Merry Christmas!

Tom

Details:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Saturday, December 28, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment