Monday, August 29, 2016

End of Summer and Changing Chapters

Labor Day always marks the end of summer for me, and it always puts me in a different mood.  There’s a tinge of sadness left over from all the years (especially when I was young) of leaving the activities and places of summer and returning home to the mellowness of autumn.  It’s not just sad, though, as I love the change of seasons and general slowing down of life a bit.  It also marks a new chapter of life as I shift gears to what comes after closing my mom’s estate.  (We’re not completely done, but we can see the sun setting.)  I haven’t really thought that much about what the next chapter will be, but you can tell that I’ve been thinking about it if you’ve followed my thoughts this summer.  I still love life with the same passion, and I still love to play, sing, and create as much as ever, so you have to know that I have some worthwhile things still in the pipeline.  I feel some cool nights of playing and reflecting coming on, and that usually means new music and lot of both peace and excitement.  That’s a great place to be.  So bring on the next chapter!

What happened last week?

Last week I just had one public show playing at Lucy’s RV Park for an outdoor concert Friday night.  It turned out to be a beautiful night with lots of fine folks and everything clicked.  Life is good!  Thanks to everyone who came out and made the evening so enjoyable.

What am I up to this week?

Saturday 12-2 I’m playing in the park in La Veta on Ryus for another Pickers Day.  The last one of these I played over Memorial Day weekend was really fun, and I suspect this one will be just as good.  There’s lots of folks with cool finds for sale, and I get to provide a musical backdrop to all this neatness.  Come on out if you can.

Sunday 2-5 I’m returning to Westcliffe to play for the Feed Store Amphitheater “Summer in the Park” series.  This is always a very special afternoon of beautiful views of the Sangres and a really rustic layout in the old tunnel-looking stage (complete with train light coming out of the darkness.)  I look forward to this afternoon every year, and I’d love to have you there if you can make it.

That’s it for this week.  Things officially slow down for me after this week, so I won’t be making weekly updates.  Magpies starts in October, although we haven’t picked the date yet.  (I’d better get on that.)  Be good to yourself, and I hope to see you soon.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing for Pickers Day in the park
Where:  La Veta Park on Ryus
When:  Saturday, September 2, 12-2 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing a concert in the mountains
Where:  The Feed Store Amphitheater, 116 North 2nd Street, Westcliffe.  719-783-2771
When:  Sunday, September 3, 2-5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment