Monday, August 22, 2016

Mountain Lions and Living with Nature

We live in a rural area, and I’m amazed at how often at home and in my travels I deal with nature.  My title above comes from a note from my sister this morning that she saw a small mountain lion outside our old family cabin in New Mexico over the weekend and heard strange noises coming from several places around the cabin (which may have been a mating mountain lion pair).  I have just finished the book, “Heart of a Lion” about a mountain lion who traveled from North Dakota to New York, so I have had mountain lions on the brain a bit this summer.  The book mainly focuses on how mountain lions live in and around many populated areas, and how they have been demonized along with other wild creatures over the past couple centuries in America.  I find when I’m paying attention that wild critters are around me every day.  We just had a hawk sitting on the fence post and consuming a lizard right next to my car as I drove into the driveway a few days ago.  And I’ve spotted a couple badgers recently - haven’t seen one of those since I was a kid.  Then there have been several coyotes here and in New Mexico that I’ve seen, and there was even a skunk we could smell as I was playing Cowboy Day in La Veta over the weekend.  One of the more notable events in the past few years has been the many elk around the cabin in New Mexico that we never had when we were kids out there - big herds of them crashing through the trees and grazing in the meadows.  And that’s not to mention the countless rabbits and other common visitors around the house in Pueblo West.  We’ve even had more spiders lately.  And all of these encounters serve to remind me that this is a big world with lots of creatures sharing it, and lots of opportunities for interaction and wonder every day.  When I think that my world is pretty small and limited, these events of living with nature remind me how special this life is.

What happened last week?

Thursday at the Yellow Pine was an emotional last show of the season and last show with Jo Anne Van Lue as the manager at the ranch since she is leaving for Branson.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and we had some very special people there.

Saturday was fun playing cowboy songs at Francisco Fort in La Veta for Cowboy Day as well as sharing the stage with other cowboy singers and poets - some from my old haunts of Cimarron and the Moreno Valley and Black Lake.  Some fine folks were in the audience as well, and my good friends, the McGregors, even invited me for a quick lunch before I had to run to Westcliffe for an outdoor wedding and reception where we dodged the rain and enjoyed a beautiful evening of love, friends, and music.

Sunday was a backyard party in Cuchara playing with Dennis and Trudy that was chilly, but oh so enjoyable.  What a time we had!

What am I up to this week?

Friday I’m playing a free outdoor concert 6:30-8 at I Love Lucy’s Place RV Park in La Veta for some good folks.  I had a great time last year playing on their stage, and I’d love to have you there if you are in the area.

I just have the one gig to tell you about this week.  The summer is winding down.  Of course I always have my nursing facilities, retirement centers, and Alzheimer homes that I play, so my schedule is never empty.

Hope you have a great week!

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing an outdoor concert
Where:  I Love Lucy's Place RV Park, 226 W. Grand Avenue, La Veta. 719-742-3252
When:  Friday, August 26, 6:30- 8:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment