Monday, August 8, 2016

New Guitars, New Possibilities

Well, I did get a new guitar. In fact, I got two. I know it seems fast since I just talked about thinking about them last week, but I've actually been considering these guitars for quite some time. I haven't purchased a nicer guitar in twenty years, and so it seems it is time. The two are both Martin guitars, and they're kind of complimentary - one with a small and sweet historic sound, and the other with a big, modern sound. They're both easier to get a good sound onstage with less gear than I usually use, and I'm not someone of late that is always looking at the latest thing, so I'm not worried about seeing greener grass on the other side of the fence. So what do I think so far and how will they affect my playing? Well, they seem to be more expressive and dynamic than the guitars I've used in the last few years, so that is already leading me to listen more and work with the interplay between guitar and voice. They haven't inspired any songs yet, but I don't expect that so soon.  As I play my regular repertoire I will see what their strengths are and when they sing out strong. It's an exciting time, and it drives my dreams in new ways. That's a good thing. 

What have I been up to?

Last week was a lot of fun as always. The summer is definitely waning, but I have several great gigs left. 

Thursday was Yellow Pine barbecue, and it was a few less people in attendance, but it was a stellar group of folks on a chilly and rainy evening. If my knuckle wasn't bothering me a bit I could have gone for hours. 

Saturday was my solo performance of the Song of Pueblo, and it went really well. It was interesting getting to play with the show a little bit and ad lib some. People told me they really enjoyed it, particularly the intensified intimacy that came from a solo show. We added Native American drummers to the Sand Creek ballad that gave the song an authenticity that was breathtaking. 

Sunday was a warm day at the Royal Gorge Bridge playing with the Atomic 
Fireballs. It was a blast getting to play some of the old 50's songs that we used to play so often. I miss that. 

What's up this week?

Thursday is the Yellow Pine barbecue, and they have extended it one more week due to popular demand, so if you wanted to come they have added next week as well. I can't wait. Call 719-742-3528 by Tuesday evening if you'd like to be there. I really enjoy these evenings, and I'd love to have you there. 

That's it for this week. I hope your summer is rounding out well. 

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, August 11, 6:30-8:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment