Monday, May 29, 2017

Keep Your Head Up

I have an interesting observation that I haven't worked out fully, but it has some interesting implications. One of my daily exercises is on an elliptical machine. We just have a few cheap exercise machines in our house, but they work for us. I only do the elliptical for a short time in my routine to get my heart rate up, and I reached a plateau of a certain pace that I could never break without completely exhausting myself and leaving me gasping for air. My exercise position was always with my head down to read the display so I could keep track of my pace and total revolutions. One day I put my head up straight and just counted my steps. As I was completing my exercise I looked down at the display and realized I was markedly faster than usual, and I also was not nearly as winded as usual. I thought it was a mistake, but day after day I've been able to duplicate it now, and I find the same result on our other machines. Could it be that just the position of keeping my head up makes that much difference to my outlook while exercising? Is it just because my airway is more open with my head up? I know that there is very interesting communication between our minds and brains. Not only can our outlook affect how our body feels, but our body position can also affect our emotion and outlook. I think that keeping your head up is good advice for many aspects of life. It lets us be more aware of the world around us and more comfortable with our body being straight and relaxed. Just like putting a smile on your face can actually make you happy, keeping your head up can make you have a brighter outlook and enjoy the moment more. Could it be that simple? Try it!

What have I been up to?

The concert at Coyote Creek last Saturday was unbelievable! I have never played for a more genuine and appreciative audience. It was a full house, and it was a great time. Thanks to all who help put it on and all who came out!

What's up this week?

Sunday at 7:00 MDT is my next first-Sunday online concert from my living room. I'll be rushing back from opening the cabins, so I'll probably be sporting some mountain spirit and tired muscles that will make it an interesting show. I don't have a plan for what music I'm playing yet, but I'll be doing something special. Please tune in if you can - concertwindow.com/tommunch.

That's it for this week. I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day and are thinking of those who gave their lives and sweat and tears for us.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  online at https://www.concertwindow.com/tommunch
When:  Sunday, June 4, 7-8ish pm MST.

No comments:

Post a Comment